The Tuscan Ribollita is one of the most common dishes of the Tuscan peasant cooking, a traditional dish of recovery, in this case the bean soup advanced from the day before.The housewives, in fact, again cooked food leftovers and not wasting them, obtaining in this way very delicious dishes, as precisely Ribollita that, for this reason, is also considered a “simple dish”.
They used to prepare it in quantity more than ample on Friday, the day after warmed up and ate again until Sunday.
2 stalks of celery,
1 sprig of thyme,
2 medium potatoes,
1 bunch chards (300 gr.),
2 bunches of medium cabbage (700 gr.),
350 grams of dried beans cannellini variety,
400 grams of stale Tuscan bread, preferably baked in a wood oven,
5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Soak the beans in plenty of cold water in the evening, the morning, drain them and put them in a pot with 2 liters of water, a clove of garlic, 3-4 sage leaves and a few peppercorns. Cook over low heat until they are tender (depending on the type can be up to 3 hours)
* Remove the cabbage leaves taking them one by one to the stem and pulling the tender part of the leaf. The stems will be discarded, while the leaves should be washed and chopped.
* Chop onion, carrots, celery and thyme and sauté in the oil without causing them to brown, in a nonstick pot or crock.
* Add the diced potatoes, chopped chards and cabbage cleaned as above, to wither everything for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
* Pour the water from the beans and vegetable stock and simmer 45 minutes. After cooking, add the 2/3 of the beans to the soup and cook for another 5 minutes.
* Add sliced bread gradually and check that it is not too thick: put the first two-thirds, cook 10 minutes, and perhaps add the rest later.
It can be kept a few days in the fridge and ready to serve reheated in the pan, hence the name ribollita, the desired amount. It is served with Tuscan olive oil, freshly ground black pepper and a tablespoon of beans on top.
…Enjoy your meal !
For information about cooking classes: